Sun 22 Sep

Harvested beans (pulled up the runner beans), potatoes (about half now up), leeks (the first mature ones) a few carrots, broccoli, some sweetcorn, turnips, courgette & marrows.

Grass needs strimming, otherwise looking good.


2013-09-22 12.00.502013-09-22 12.00.55 2013-09-22 12.01.04  2013-09-22 12.00.34 2013-09-22 11.59.59 2013-09-22 11.59.34


Mostly we have been harvesting. Loads of beans, some really nice broccoli, chard, couregttes/marrows, red cabbage, and latterly sweetcorn, as well as the usual potatoes, turnips, beetroot.


2013-09-22 12.46.21 2013-09-22 12.44.11

Sun, 28 Apr.

Sowed in pots for windowsill:

  • Courgette (Nero di Milan) 2 seeds in ea. of 2 pots,
  • Sunflower, 2 seeds in ea. of 2 pots
  • Squash (sprinted) 2 seeds in ea. of 2 pots

Also pricked out two broccoli seedlings sown 14 Apr, where 3 had germinated in a pot, into new pot.

The beans sown on 14 Apr are now up in the loft for more light and hardening; the leeks sown on 7 Apr went up earlier this week.

Sun, 14 Apr.

Sowed seeds indoors:

  • 10 x Neckar queen, climbing french bean, and
  • 10 x snap bush, drawf french bean
  • –both in peat modules.

  • Calabrese brocolli Belstar F1 , and
  • Red Cabbage ruby ball F1
  • –both several seeds in 4x pots

On kitchen windowsill.

Sun. 17 Apr

Planted 2 rows red cabbage in bed B with radishes as catch crop; 1 row parsnip and 1 row beetroot in bed C; lettuces between broad beans on bed A.

Harvested purple sprouting broccoli, perpetual spinach, and rhubarb. Rhubarb this year has thrown up a lot of flower stems.

Sun 5 Sept

Harvested the potatoes. One sack of anya, two of nicola, all looking in good condition. (we have already eaten one of the three rows of anya)

Picked the onions and left them in covered crates at the allotment to dry.

Also picked beans (borlotti), courgettes, broccoli, spinach, blackberries.

Amazingly, we have an aubergine. (Doubly amazing since it is on the “pumpkin” plant)

Sun 29 Aug

Mostly tidied up. Picked some beans, the beans for eating as pods are nearly over, but the ying-yang and barlotti are beginning to come. Also got a couple more courgettes, some carvolo nero, broccoli, a decent but small head of red cabbage, and some blackberries. Sweetcorn has cobs on it, with luck and a good September these will ripen,

Sun 22 Aug

Mostly shovelled compost around.

Chopped tops of rest of the potatoes. Chopped down comfrey.

Broke necks of all remaining onions

Harvested two heads of broccoli, half a bag of beans, two courgettes and a tub of black berries (with a few rasps)

Took a look at the carrots for the first time since sowing them under fleece. A lot of what was there wasn’t carrot, so removed it, and carrots were over-crowded, so thinned them, but there are some nice looking but small carrots there. Covered again, should be ready in a few weeks.

Wednesday 17th August

The kids and I spent a couple of hours tidying up and harvesting.

Got two bags full of beans, the last mega-turnip, beetroot, artichokes, some cavolo nero leaves, two large and one medium-sized marrows, a courgette and three onions.  Also harvested some unexpected broccoli, the last three garlic heads and one and a half of plants’ worth of potatoes (the ones that aren’t Anya!)  Cut the tops of one row of the spuds but ran out of time to do the rest.

Red cabbage is looking good – some decent heads forming.  Ditto the celeriac.

Brought home some poppy heads to scatter the seeds in the garden here to add some colour for next year.

Sun 1 Aug

My fist trip to the allotment since coming back from hols. Quite overgrown but not as bad as last year.

Mostly weeded, but also harvested some beetroot, parsnips (which needed thinning) and a courgette and a few assorted French beans.

Brassicas (bed E) look good, those are the red cabbage in the front, behind them the broccoli and at the back the purple sprouting broccoli.

Root crops (bed D) also look good. The parsnips at the front are getting a bit crowded. Beetroot and turnip are ready. The carrots are under the fleece, with carvolo nero and celeriac behind.

Onions (bed A)look OK, but were getting over grown with weeds. The onions grown from sets are ready, so I broke their necks.

The courgette is OK, sweet corn may fruit if we have a long summer like last year but pumpkin and aubergine look very doubtful.

Potatoes are fine, anya are done. But the tares sown as green manure on bed I got swamped by fat hen (which I strimmed, probably came from the compost, I suppose it’s a green manure of sorts).

There’s also a pretty looking plant next to the shed, which we certainly didn’t put there.